Saturday, September 18, 2010

When you can't beat them, just join them in the game!

Today was a great day. Even thou it caused me to feel a little sad at one point, I was very happy to be where I was and realized I am lucky to be able to be there again soon. I woke up at 0600 on this Saturday morning to support all my fellow Team Vortex members at the Roy McConnell Mango Triathlon. This race had such a meaning to all of us at the Triathlon world. Even though I can't compete right now, I was there to cheer on friends and all other participants. Just because I can't doesn't mean I wont join them, I actually need to be there so I don't let go the joy that Triathlon gives me. 

This Triathlon was in the memory of Roy McConnell, a well known Triathlete and community leader. Roy and his 3 sons were killed in a car accident on their way back from the movies by a drunk driver just 3 weeks ago. The Tri community lost a great person, competitor and a friend. I didn't know Roy, however been at the Roy McConnell Triathlon today made me realize so many things. Listening to all the words that people have to say about Roy, how dedicated he was to his family friends and community I knew how special he was. Listening to his family talk about him and the legacy he is leaving behind makes the toughest person cry and to see how the Triathlon community has come together to help his family cope with their loss makes me a very proud member of this sport.

Unlike Roy and his 3 sons, I am a very lucky person. I will be able to Tri again and to have a normal life once my treatment is over. Looking at his picture frame at the awards ceremony I said "Im lucky to be here today and I will always remember that" somethings don't make sense and his death is one of them.

On a good note, I was able to see my team members win some serious bling bling. I was jelous, I won't lie. I wish that was me but I did enjoy seing all of them kick some butt. Special congratulations to Allison....you have come a long way and hope you know how wonderful you are. Keep it up!

Thank you lord for giving me the strenght to tackle this illness with bravery and thank you for letting me be able to live more so I can enjoy more Roy McConnell Mango Triathlons to come.

TTYL,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment